Kel-Volkana - Beyond the Pale
Physical Description: Taller than the average humans, Snow Elves average 6’4" – 7’0" in height, and 180 – 200 lbs, with females being slightly shorter and lighter than males. They have light brown or tan skin, white or pale blond hair, and silver eyes.
They strongly favor white clothing and bone jewelry, trading for silver from the humans. They prefer to wear leather and furs. Snow elves are renowned for their ability to manufacture a strong and beautiful type of armor from the hide of the white dragon.
Society: Dwelling in tight-knit, extremely isolationist families or clans of 3-30 members,
snow elves are very territorial and hostile toward trespassers. These clans live in small villages consisting of 2-10 dome-shaped huts of woven trees, covered with furs and skins and packed on the outside with snow. Such villages house members of one clan only and lie generally near the center of that clan’s territory.
Snow-elven clans, while not at all interdependent, will not hesitate to aid one another in repelling invaders or raiding high-altitude settlements. Clans often come together in spring and fall for various festivals and religious holidays. A snow elf will never turn another of his kind away empty-handed, although the proud snow elf only rarely admits the need of another’s assistance.
While not hard and fast rules, by tradition certain roles have been assigned to certain genders. Males tend to be fighters and rangers, and females tend to be shaman. Either gender may be druids.
Alignment and Religion: Snow Elves are best considered neutral with aloof tendencies.
Snow-elven religion centers around their secluded druidic shrines. These holy places, tucked in the wildest and most remote nooks and crannies of the mountains, house elven druids of the highest levels. The shrines are reportedly places of great power, and each is headed by a powerful druid. The shrines are considered by all snow elves to be extremely holy areas and will be aggressively defended.
The Snow Elves worship Korkein Vuori, the Old Man of the Mountain. He is the tallest mountain in the Cloudscraper range and cloaked in clouds year round. His slopes are sacred, and forbidden to outsiders. The Snow Elves believe that Korkein Vuori protects them and has sent his Totems to aid them. They also believe that, when they die, they will live with him at the cloud-shrouded summit. The dishonorable dead, will be condemned to the depths of Spirit Lake.
The tribes of three Totems have allied with Kel-Volkana:
- Elk – proud and noble warriors.
- Lynx – the unconventional and intuitive guardians of secrets.
- Owl – stealthy, freedom-loving messengers.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, and –2 Charisma.
- Size: Elves are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Elves are Humanoids with the elf subtype.
- Base Speed: Elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Elves begin play speaking Snow Elven.
Defense Racial Traits
- Elven Immunities: Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Heart of the Snows: Born in chilly climes, SNow Elves treat cold climates as one category less severe. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Fortitude saving throws against the effects of cold climates, on any check or saving throw to avoid slipping and falling, and to CMD against trip combat maneuvers. This bonus applies on Acrobatics and Climb checks made in slippery conditions.
- Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
Offense Racial Traits
- Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longbows (including composite longbows), handaxe, spears, and shortbows (including composite shortbows).
Senses Racial Traits
- Low-Light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.